Visiting Author Series 2017-2018
The FCCS Reading Series has announced their Spring 2018 schedule, featuring wonderful writers from the Okanagan and beyond. All events are free, which include workshops, panels, and readings.
This year's series will be held from March 16 to 18, at 702 Bernard Avenue (wheelchair accessible). Please see below for the series schedule.
Friday, March 16
- 1:00 - 3:00 pm : Editing Your Poetry | Workshop by Juliane Okot Bitek
- 7:00 pm: Reading with Heidi Garnett, Sarah de Leeuw, Rob Budde, Juliane Okot Bitek | Hosted by Michael V. Smith
Saturday, March 17
- 1:00 - 2:30 pm: Shifting CanLit | Panel: Juliane Okot Bitek, Karen Hofmann, Karis Shearer, Rob Budde | Moderator Laisha Rosnau
In recent years, the ground has seemed to shift under what we knew as "Can Lit." Questions of privilege and power -- who holds it and who is denied it -- and of how gender, race, identity, and class inform writing, teaching, publishing and community have come to the forefront of discussion in classrooms, backrooms, bedrooms, and on social media. How does discussion and debate around what CanLit is -- who is included and who is silenced -- affect how and what we write, how and what we teach, and how we interact with writing communities?
- 3:00 - 4:00 pm: Stories Between: A conversation about Narrative and Voice
Panel: Margo Greenwood, Cree Scholar and Writer: Pauline Terbasket, Syilx Okanagan Activist and Storyteller; Teresa Marshall, Activist, Filmmaker and Writer; Sarah de Leeuw, Academic Researcher and Literary Non-fiction/Poetry Author
This panel brings together two Indigenous women with two settler women to discuss storytelling across geographies, cultures, disciplines, and within contours of friendship, relations, and reconciliation. Themes include: ecology; family; academic writing merged with personal reflection, and; storytelling infused with research, politics, and poetics. The audience is invited to join in the conversation.
- 7:00 pm: Reading with Clifton Joseph, Karen Hofmann, Juliane Okot Bitek | Hosted by Matt Rader
Sunday, March 18
- 3:00 pm: My Journey to Poetry, Neo-romantic to Dub | Workshop by Clifton Joseph
Clifton Joseph looks at his early fascination with poetry in antigua's british education system, especially the english romantic poets and my growth while in toronto into the poetry of the Black world and helping to found the dub poetry movement in canada; an explanation of the history, developments and dynamics of dub poetry and its impact on (performance) poetry in this country and beyond.
- 7:00 pm: IWC Reading with Clifton Joseph and Kelowna spoken word artists | Hosted by Erin Scott
Thank to this year's Visiting Author Series sponsors: The Faculty of Creative and Critical Studies, the League of Canadian Poets, le Centre culturel francophone de l'Okanagan (CCFO), Inspired Word Café, ARTSCO.
Past Visiting Authors
- 2016-20172017-2018 Visiting Authors
- 2015-20162015-2016 Visiting Authors
- 2014-20152014-2015 Visiting Authors Series
- 2013-20142013-2014 Visiting Authors
- 2012-20132012-13 Visiting Authors
- 2011-20122011-12 Visiting Authors
- 2010-20112010-2011 Visiting Authors
- 2009-20102009-2010 Visiting Authors
- 2008-20092008-2009 Visiting Authors
- Woodshed Reading SeriesWoodshed Reading Series 2015
Last reviewed 2/14/2018 1:06:42 PM