BFA Portfolio Submission
Step 1: Apply Online
You need to apply online for admission to UBC specifying the BFA program at the Okanagan campus, with “Major Visual Arts” as your specialization. Information about entry requirements for UBC can be found at: you.ubc.ca/applying-ubc
Program specific requirements for BC high school applications to Visual Arts are:
- English 12 or English 12 First Peoples
- Portfolio and a letter of intent
There is one online application for both the Vancouver and Okanagan campuses, and you will need to pay a non-refundable application fee. You can only submit one application, but you can specify a first and second choice.
If you plan to live in residence at the Okanagan campus of UBC, apply for housing at the same time you apply for admission. Many first-year students are guaranteed a place in residence provided they meet the requirements.
Step 2: Submit Portfolio and Letter of Intent
Once you submit your application for admission declaring your interest in the BFA, you will receive an email that lists any documents that may be required.
Applicants to the UBC Bachelor of Fine Arts degree in Visual Arts at the Okanagan campus must submit a portfolio and a letter of intent.
Note: The deadline for portfolio submission is January 31
What to include:
- A cover letter, with your name, address and email
- 15 to 20 images, and/or links to up to 3 short videos, which illustrate your best work while showing the range of media you have explored.
You also MUST include an image description page with the titles and medium used in your work, which correspond to your numbered images and/or videos. You may include a link to your personal website if available.
It is best to send all material in one document either as a .doc or .docx, or merge all documents into one .pdf file. DO NOT send PowerPoint or other presentations.
The name of your file MUST include your name. Example:
- 15to– 20 images (maximum). You MUST ensure that your file is not larger than 5MB. Images should be resized to a maximum of 160 dpi, and a maximum of 1000 px on the long side of the image.
- Up to 3 short video works (maximum 3 minutes each)
- These files should be accessible from a URL and you may post them online (e.i. Youtube or Vimeo), include the links and passwords if applicable in your image description list.
- Video documentation of 3D work may also be submitted as a link if appropriate Do NOT send original work.
Letter of Intent
The letter of intent, (maximum of 300 words), should describe the applicant’s reasons for wanting to study in the visual arts. Artist statements are welcome but not mandatory.
Submitting your Portfolio ad Letter of Intent:
The portfolio and letter of intent must be sent together, either online or by mail.
Mail your portfolio to:
Portfolio Review Committee
Department of Creative Studies
The University of British Columbia
CCS building – 1148 Research Road
Kelowna, BC V1V 1V7
If you wish to have your mailed submission returned, you must use a reusable mailer and include sufficient return postage or enclose a self addressed, stamped envelope in your portfolio.
For inquiries regarding portfolio requirements, please contact the UBC Department of Creative Studies at 250.807.9761.
Entry into this program is very competitive. The number of places within the B.F.A. (Visual Arts) program is limited, and admission is based on a review of the portfolio, letter of intent, and grade average.